Monday, August 22, 2011

Carl Zeiss MC Biometar 80mm F/2.8 Lens (Amateur) Review

Well guys... here I am trying to put my self as a reviewer for a beautiful lens. As an amateur user I've had some opinion with this lens... and here's the story behind it....:

I've acquired this lens couple weeks ago from Kaskus one of the largest Indonesian community website. The price for this lens is around US $225. there was couple of mixed up during the process of acquiring this lens. At first place after place my bid and get the nod from the seller for the agreed price, I've transferred the money and hopeful the lens will be sent straight after the transfer.... turned out that the seller didn't HAVE the lens with him at the time. He asked his best friend to keep it and also sell it for him, and his friend was out of town for a couple days. So after waiting couple of days, finally the lens was sent to me. Before sending the package, the seller asked me whether I wanted the M42 adapter. For my understanding, I thought he offered M42-EOS adapter, and I have that already at home, so I said No Thanks.... actually... what he meant was Pentacon 6 - M42 adapter.... jeeeez.....

So when the lens arrived at my place, there's nothing I can do with it because I don't have the right adapter for it. And I have to purchase the adapter for around US $20. OK the adapter arrived, can't wait to test it....

Beautiful medium format lens.....

But when I check the diaphragm, Ive noticed that the blade got stuck open wide, I've tried to play around with the ring turn it forward and backward but no luck so far..... So I've returned the lens to the seller and he promised to fix that for me.

Carl Zeiss Biometar 80mm F/28 with Pentacon 6-M42 and M42-EOS adapter

After a week or so.. the finally I've got this lens with me in a perfect working order... yayy.....
So I've attached it to my Canon 50D and it looked like this:


From some of the reviews I've read, this lens can produce a beautiful chained bokeh and good color render. I've played around the house with this lens and here are some samples of it....

 Beautiful rounded bokeh (Shot with 50D)

 Beautiful rounded bokeh (Shot with 50D)

 Chained bokeh... very sharp open wide



 Shot with 7D very beautiful bokeh...

I took this picture using my Lumix GF-2 with M42-micro 4/3 adapter, I think I need time to adjust myself using live view with manual lens.... so the picture a little bit out of focus....

So far my opinion of this lens is worth to have and collect as the lens can produce amazing picture, right now I'm looking for a tilt shift adapter for this lens so I can play around with it and create a miniature effect with it.....

It's worth the wait and every cent that I've spent for this lens.....

Sorry for my english and sorry for the very amateur review...... :-)

2 comments:

  1. nice review. it certainly is a lovely lens. just got hold of one today<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review,am looking at the 80mm and 120mm,your review will help with my final decision.

    ReplyDelete